Monday, May 23, 2011

The Seven Stages of Golf Grief

The Seven Stages of Grief has helped people all over the world deal with grief, loss and change.

    1.    Shock
    2.    Denial
    3.    Bargaining
    4.    Fear
    5.    Anger
    6.    Despair
    7.    and finally, Acceptance

Whether it’s the death of a loved one, the death of a marriage, or other life-changing event, 
these seven steps identify the choices we make that allow us to move 
forward, making the changes that result in our integrating the loss 
rather than being stuck in it forever.

My research has confirmed that the same process applies to golf.  Coming to terms with the inadequacy and injustice of one’s golf game is acheived through the Seven Stages of Golf Grief:

Shock“I can't believe I'm still not getting any better at this game.  My dream is to play better, consistent golf.”

Denial: “Another crappy round. This isn't happening to me, I'll play better next round.  My golf dreams will come true.”

Bargaining:  “Ok, if I buy this new set of clubs and take a lot of expensive lessons then I'll get better, right?”

Fear“Oh no. what if I never get good at this game.  What will my friends and family think?”

Anger:  “I hate this game.  With all the time and money I spend on golf I deserve to play better.”

Despair: “I'm never going to be able to enjoy this game.”

Acceptance:  “This is as good as Iím ever gonna get.  My golf dream is dead.”

Grieve not golfers.  There is another group of seven that offers golfing fulfillment and satisfaction.  It’s the 7 Amendments to the USGA Rules of Golf.  It’s the way golf was originally meant to be played and enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment